Mathematics 552 Information
Abstract Algebra II
Information concerning the course Mathematics 552 (Abstract
to be taught in Spring 2013 by J. Tunnell is kept here.
The course will be a continuation of Mathematics 551.
It will meet Tuesday and Thursday 1:40-3:00 in
Hill 525. The following information is currently available about this
- Week 1
- Text Readings: Jacobson I:7.1-7.2, Jacobson II: 1.1-1.3 , 3.1, 3.7-3.9
- Week 1 Problem set 1 (Due 2/5/13)
- Week 1 expository reading:
What is Algebra? from Algebra I by A. I. Kostrikin and
I. R. Shafarevitch (Encyclopaedia of Mathematical Sciences Volume 11,
- Week 2
- Text Readings: Jacobson 3.10
- Week 2 Problem set 2 (Due 2/5/13)
- Week 2 expository reading:
- Week 3
- Text Readings: Jacobson II: 3.2, 3.5
- Week 3 Problem set 3 (Due 2/12/13)
- Week 3 expository reading:
- Week 4
- Text Readings: Jacobson II: 5.1
- Week 4 Problem set 4 (Due 2/26/13 -
Note change from 2/19/13)
- Week 4 expository reading:
- Week 5
- Text Readings: Jacobson II: 4.5, 5.1, 5.2
- Week 5 Problem set 5 (Due 2/26/13)
- Week 5 expository reading:
- Week 6
- Text Readings: Jacobson II: 4.6, 4.7 , 5.3
- Week 6 Problem set 6 (Due 3/12/13 -
Note change from 3/5/13)
- Week 7
- Text Readings: Wrapup of semisimple algebras: Jacobson II: 4.5-4.7 , 5.1-5.3
- Week 7 Problem set 7 (Due 3/12/13)
- Oral Midterm exams will be the week of 3/25-3/29. The possible
times are listed here . After you
have chosen an open time slot, email me your choice. I will update
the available times as students are scheduled on a first come first
- Week 8
- Text Readings: Field extensions, splitting fields, separable polynomials: Jacobson I: 4.1,4.3,4.4
- Week 8 Problem set 8 (Due 3/26/13)
- Week 9
- Text Readings: Separable polynomials and Galois Theory: Jacobson I: 4.4,4.5
- Week 9 Problem set 9 (Due 4/9/13
(changed from 4/2/13))
- Week 10
- Text Readings: Galois Theory and Theory of Fields: Jacobson I: 4.5
- Week 10 Problem set 10 (Due 4/9/13.
Note slight correction made 4/9/13)
- Week 10 expository reading:
- Week 11
- Text Readings: Solvable Groups: Jacobson I: 4.6
- Week 11 Problem set 11 (Due 4/16/13
- Week 12
- Text Readings: Solvability by radicals : Jacobson I: 4.7
- Week 12 Problem set 12 (Due 4/30/13)
- Week 13
- Text Readings: Galois groups of polynomials : Jacobson I: 4.8,4.9,4.16
- Week 13 Problem set 13 (Due 4/30/13)
- Week 14
- Text Readings: Applications of Galois Theory to Classical Problems : Jacobson I: 4.2
- Week 14: No homework for week 14, the last week of class. There
will be a take home final problem in lieu of a final exam.
- Week 14 expository reading:
- HOMEWORK submissions
- Homework will be accepted for grading until 5:00 PM, May 13.
A scan or pdf file of any homework that you wished to have
graded should be emailed to me before that cutoff time.
- Final problem set. Note version
5 correcting yet another error in 5bc posted 8:10 PM 5/11/13. And
version 6 straightening out a confusion between a division algebra
and its opposite in problem 4 posted 4:15 PM 5/12/13.
- There will be a final problem set in place of an in-class final.
The problem set will appear here
by 10:00 PM 5/6 and will be due at or
before 10:00 PM on 5/13. You may use any books or references that you
wish, but do not talk to people other than me about the problems. The
submission of the completed final problem set will be by email to me.
If you have a pdf copy send that, otherwise scan your submission and
email that to me. I will not be around to receive physical copies.
Check back periodically to see if any updates to the problem set
are posted. Each posted version has a version and date at the top.
New versions will only be needed if misprints or errors are found.