Temporary grades (NG, TZ, TF):
- A grade of NG (no grade given) is assigned to a student who has not attended the course. The NG will have no immediate effect on a student's GPA, however, if the situation is not resolved within the following semester, the NG will convert to an F, and the GPA will be recalculated accordingly.
- The TZ should only* be assigned when a student is unable to complete the semester's course work due to a verifiable emergency situation.
- The instructor should set a deadline for completion of the work (entered on the roster as a comment). It is generally desirable that the work be completed before the following term begins so that the student may proceed normally. The work must be completed before the examination period of the following semester begins.
- The TZ will have no immediate effect on a student's GPA. If the situation is not resolved before the deadline the TZ will convert to an F, and the GPA will be recalculated accordingly.
- *Note: In cheating cases awaiting adjudication the TZ grade is given as a placeholder which does not affect GPA.
- The TF is assigned if the student does not complete the course work required, or has not taken the final exam. The TF will be calculated into the GPA immediately. If the course work is not made up within the following semester, the TF converts to an F.
Information from the Registrar
See the registrar's manual for faculty for the current authoritative statement. (Information posted on Math Department pages may not always be current.)